Who I am and what I'm doing

I love food, music, fashion, art and culture. I also love to write and never do enough of the above things, especially in London and so in 2011 I thought I'd create a blog and attempt to do one thing a week that I'd not done before in London - whether it was a show, an exhibition, a class, a course, a dating evening - whatever. At the end of the year I completed my challenge of doing 52 new things.

In 2016 I am doing the challenge again but this time, its all about learning something new each week. So I'm going to go to a different talk, lecture or workshop each week and learn something and educate and inspire myself!

Wednesday 9 February 2011

Week six

The world of dating is, as far I'm concerned full of nothing but great peril.  I am not someone that gets particularly excited at the prospect of going on dates.  They tend to be, in a word, awful.  Girls totally have the rough deal when it comes to dating.  Off the top of my head these are the things girls think about:  "heels or flats", "lots of boobs or lots of legs?" (never both - slut) "hair up or hair down" - bloody hell its exhausting and that's before you've even left your house.  Then when you meet the guy, first time or otherwise you are faced with the prospect that in a split second you know whether its a yay or nay.  If its a yay you spend the entire time thinking about how much you should flirt, how you should flirt, if you're talking too much, if you sleep with him that night will he call again blah blah blah blah blah.  If its a nay then the likelihood is he's a) a decent guy but you just don't fancy him and so you end up having a perfectly pleasant evening.  But who wants perfectly pleasant.  Or b) he's utterly dull and boring and you wait excruciatingly for enough time to pass that you can make your excuses and leave.

Thankfully I didn't have all that crap to deal with when I went speed dating because what it does is eliminate all the fuss and the long-windedness as each date is only about 3 minutes long.  Also, in my shallowness, because this all took place at The Book Club, a bar in Shoreditch for many a gent that the phrase "being a dickhead is cool" wouldn't be out of place, I thought there would be at least a handful of nice men there.  Surprisingly I was right.  When normally you might be faced with complete geeks and losers several of the guys here were genuinely pretty decent. That said there were several that were, as I wrote in my notes, "rather non-descript" and one unfortunate "utterly dull and boring".  More positive notes included "nice eyelashes", "good hair", "very funny" and "a bit camp" (love a gay straight man).

 

The highlight for me was a doctor telling me that the best tip for dealing with a burn to the hand was to take your hand out of the fire.  Oh dear.  Bonus points went to James whose top tip is when high-fiving someone you should look at their elbow and you'll never miss.  We tried it.  It worked.  Genius.

All that said, it was exhausting.  There were 18 boys for us all to get through and trying to make each "date" different for your own sanity is not easy.  I would have potentially liked a few more minutes with some of them - I mean, I didn't even get to tell a cheese joke.  Out of the 18 boys I met I would potentially see 4 of them again.  Not terrible odds at all.  Regardless, it was a laugh and I might have even had a cheeky snog......



Since its Valentine's Day this month the organisers are running 2 more speed dating events this month - you can check the details here and tickets cost £10.

Next week I'm going to learn the ultimate skill in how to DJ.....but actually do it well.  Watch out for DJ Sharffy.....oh good Lord.

4 Comments:

joadpho said...

Hilarious! A pretty accurate account I'd say ;)

Anonymous said...

rather embarrasingly, i laughed out loud in the office about the doctor's comment...hilarious!

Charlotte said...

Ha ha! Well, I think that's cured me of my curiosity, thanks :) xx

Anne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment