Who I am and what I'm doing

I love food, music, fashion, art and culture. I also love to write and never do enough of the above things, especially in London and so in 2011 I thought I'd create a blog and attempt to do one thing a week that I'd not done before in London - whether it was a show, an exhibition, a class, a course, a dating evening - whatever. At the end of the year I completed my challenge of doing 52 new things.

In 2016 I am doing the challenge again but this time, its all about learning something new each week. So I'm going to go to a different talk, lecture or workshop each week and learn something and educate and inspire myself!

Tuesday 1 March 2011

Week eight

Sitting here, its really beginning to sink in that this challenge I have set myself is actually not as easy as all that.  2 months in and I can clearly see the mountain ahead.  But, its nothing but incredibly exciting as my odds are looking fairly good in terms of enjoyment.  I sort of forgot that some of the things I do might actually be awful and I wouldn't want to recommend them to friends, but out of 8 weeks that hasn't happened yet, not once.

This week was certainly no exception and is definitely near the top of the list for things to do in London.  Afternoon tea in the style of the Mad Hatter's Tea Party has the potential for so many let-downs as its a fairly bold and presumptuous label that anyone could attempt to pass off with a few mere wacky names and some pretty colours.  Not the case at The Sanderson Hotel where the tasty selection of sandwiches, cakes and treats are carefully considered, playful, varied and delicious.

Firstly I just have to point out that I had never been to the Sanderson, even though I have walked past it a few times and have always thought how ugly it looks from the outside, despite knowing that its one of the trendiest and top hotels in London.   So imagine my surprise when I walked inside and saw a complete haven of drapes, warm lighting, clean lines and quirky modern features mixed with retro pieces inside the industrial grey brick facade.


To partake in the delights of the afternoon you have to walk through the slick Long Bar and also the stunning courtyard garden that with spring clutching at straws to come out (please God) was filled with  pink flowers, plants and trees and baby daffodils.  With the conservatory roof and outdoor heaters in place my friend Nat, her son Tom and I decided to sit outside and gorge on the natural light (and cake).

We began our feast with some rainbow coloured finger sandwiches. Traditional British - ham and mustard, smoked salmon, egg and cress and cucumber but on cute coloured and flavoured breads such as saffron yellow, spinach green and beetroot red.  All very tasty.


However, next came the real taste sensations - a stand of madness and pure delight.  Up top were the crazy lollipops lodged in bright blue salt.  One, a hazelnut praline ice-cream lollipop that exploded with popping candy when you bit into it.  I loved it as the chocolate was that really warm and melty variety similar to lindt lindors (the best chocolates in the world).  The other was a blueberry lollipop - hot on one side and cold on the other.  A nice idea but it didn't work as well, it was more sweet on one side and sour on the other but still, looked great and added a little zing to the stand.



Below the lollipops were some traditional scones that were served with strawberry jam and clotted cream.  I understand why these are here - for the more traditional afternoon tea clientele and that is absolutely fine - they were good scones but I think it was a shame to have not had a flavoured scone as well or perhaps a quirky flavoured jam.

The final selection to complete the trio of trays was without question the best.  A"drink me" bottle filled with apple pie, lemon curd and English toffee.  Perhaps a rather sickly sounding blend of sweet flavours and yet it was a triumph.  Each time I took a slow sip from the bottle I experienced each one of the flavours in a very subtle yet complimentary way. Gorgeous.
An "eat me" white chocolate and strawberry mousse was also delicious.  It was light, creamy and fruity.
Finally a chocolate and coffee "rabbit's clock" was an extremely moist, layered sponge cake - effectively a tiramisu but a very nice one at that.


The whole setup just looks fabulous.  Its smart and sophisticated and yet fun and frivolous - the perfect combination as far as I'm concerned. It was nice to see such a mixed clientele in just one afternoon: business meetings, groups of girls, couples, friends with kids, which, I think only furthers my comment.

I think the harsher observers might criticise The Sanderson's afternoon tea for not having a an impressive list of teas that would rival, say Claridges or The Savoy but to be honest, I don't think its in keeping with the tone.  Its much more relaxed and informal, in a charming setting.  In the summer it would be divine.


At £25 per head the price is competitive and includes all food and tea.  You can order champagne too at at £6.50 or £9.50 a glass. Afternoon tea is available every day between 2.30pm and 5.30pm at the hotel and you can check out more information here.
Next week I'm going to the launch of World Book Day.  Come down to Trafalgar Square on March 4th.

Nat and Tom enjoying the yummy treats

1 Comment:

Unknown said...

Really impressed with all you've done. I think my favourite is the Winter Wonderland film on top of the Berkley Hotel and love the look of the Mad Hatters tea party. Was it good for kids or was Tom very well behaved??! Makes me miss London (well just a little!). Nic x

Post a Comment