Who I am and what I'm doing

I love food, music, fashion, art and culture. I also love to write and never do enough of the above things, especially in London and so in 2011 I thought I'd create a blog and attempt to do one thing a week that I'd not done before in London - whether it was a show, an exhibition, a class, a course, a dating evening - whatever. At the end of the year I completed my challenge of doing 52 new things.

In 2016 I am doing the challenge again but this time, its all about learning something new each week. So I'm going to go to a different talk, lecture or workshop each week and learn something and educate and inspire myself!

Thursday 8 December 2016

Week 48 - learning to climb a wall

Oh my days.  This week was such a surprise and a delight.  I went climbing: proper climbing up a wall with ropes and everything.  Its funny, there is a big indoor climbing wall in Swiss Cottage that I probably pass at least two or three times a week and every time I glance across, I think nonchalantly "ah I'd like to try that some time" but of course, I never do.  There is probably also, a very small bit of fear there as well.  Not that I have a fear of heights but I know very well from when I did a flying trapeze a few years ago, it wasn't the being at the top of the platform that freaked me out, it was that I had to jump off it into the "sky".  So with the climbing I imagined that I might struggle to get down once I'd reached the top.

Nevertheless, there was a little push and an extra reason for me to do it, but of course, I'd left it to the very end of the year.  It was something that I wasn't mad keen on doing but I have struggled a little towards the end, making sure I've had things booked in around Xmas.  

I was told to wrap up warm because essentially the climbing wall is outside as there is no roof.  So I layered up and went to the weekly adult beginners course last Wednesday night.  There were just four of us there but unfortunately I was the only one that was a total beginner and so it was all a bit slow and discordant to begin with.  Ben, who runs the climbing centre took us through all the procedures, starting with how to put on our harnesses.  



I wasn't even given an introduction to climbing, just sort of thrust into it. Although, with most things that is the best way; no theory, just practise.  I'm not sure I had even heard the word belay before; I think that is what Ben kept saying, I wasn't 100% as he spoke at the most phenomenal rate, clearly trying to expel every bit of information I needed to know.

I had to spend the majority of the lesson mastering the art of tying knots in the freezing cold.  I wasn't sure what they were all for but I just went with it.  What I know now is that we were tying knots in the ropes that attach to our harnesses and obviously prevent us from falling to our deaths if we slip on the rocks or steps.  The rope that is attached to your harness is first tied in a double figure-8 knot and then finished with a stopper knot.  After doing it at least six or seven times, I knew what I was doing and Ben was happy.




Then I moved onto how to belay.  Belaying is the technique for holding the climbing rope for a climber so that they are safe if they fall off the rock and that they won’t hit the ground if they do take a fall.  Basically, you should always climb in pairs.  One person climbs while the other belays.  I had to fix the main running rope through a belay device, which is attached to a carabiner and then attached to my harness.  You're essentially holding the rope securely that runs from you to the climber.  You're either giving out or taking in the rope making sure its snug for the person climbing.  Its all pretty simple but you do absolutely have to work together so that the climber has plenty of slack and that you don't get hoisted off the ground.

After I was the belayer it was my turn to climb.  No real spiel from Ben, no advice on where to step, just get going.  And I did.  I just did it like I had to.  Up I went without any real forethought.  I'm not really sure whether I was thinking about the dangers or the height or my foot slipping.  To be honest, at that point both my fingers and toes felt like they were about to drop off so I just had to keep moving and scrambled all the way to the top!






Once you're there, you don't really have much option but to head straight back, pushing off with your legs and swinging your way down.  This is the part where you have to feel fully confident that you're safe and secure on the ropes and I absolutely did.  When I did a flying trapeze I couldn't have been safer with a harness around me, a safety strap and a net beneath and yet, making myself jump off the platform and swing onto the bar took a mountain of energy.   Swinging down the climbing wall was nothing in comparison.  Maybe it was because I wasn't looking down head first.  

Due to all the tooing and frooing and me learning how to tie knots, I only got to climb twice but even just that gave me a real buzz and I'm definitely going to do it again.   For £22 its totally worth it and there are climbing walls all over the city.  Just make sure to wear enough socks.




1 Comment:

Unknown said...

Yayyy

Post a Comment