Who I am and what I'm doing

I love food, music, fashion, art and culture. I also love to write and never do enough of the above things, especially in London and so in 2011 I thought I'd create a blog and attempt to do one thing a week that I'd not done before in London - whether it was a show, an exhibition, a class, a course, a dating evening - whatever. At the end of the year I completed my challenge of doing 52 new things.

In 2016 I am doing the challenge again but this time, its all about learning something new each week. So I'm going to go to a different talk, lecture or workshop each week and learn something and educate and inspire myself!

Thursday 13 January 2011

Week Two

So I'm sat here still reeling from week one.  Everyone who read about my trip to The Berkley just said how utterly wonderful it sounded and how they wanted to go.  That is exactly the reaction I wanted to provoke, but its going to be so hard to get that reaction every time.  Not every event can be so unique and spectacular and actually, thats not the point either.  At the end of the day I'm reviewing things I've never done before.


So, in contrast to an expensive cinematic affair last week, this week was a more modest pursuit of art.  In its third season of contemporary art at the Royal Academy's Burlington Gardens venue is the "Aware: Art Fashion Identity" exhibition.  I'm a big fashion fan so wanted to see how clothes could be used in an interesting and artistic way.  The premise behind the exhibit is to show how clothes can be used as a way to communicate and reveal bits of our identity - our individuality, religion, thoughts on science, progress and culture in the modern world.  These truly varied subject matters are explored using a very large and exciting mix of materials and media.  
A truly thought-provoking and exciting concept but I found the reality to be a little hitty-missy.   Some of the interpretations were just a little too monotonous for me and there were way too many video pieces.  Saying that though, there were several pieces that I really liked.  A stunning and very elaborate dress by Susie MacMurray that from a distance looked incredibly elegant and soft but up-close was harsh and aggressive due to being made entirely from pins.  This piece was based on the feelings of pain and isolation.  I also loved Alexander McQueen's stunning red lace dress from his winter '98 collection named Joan in reference to his inspiration from Joan of Arc.


In a section that was all about political conflict and the idea of nationality was an interesting piece by Alice Framis called "100 ways to wear a flag".  On display were 16 garments all made by different designers using the Chinese Flag as inspiration.  The flag highlights the recent explosion of the garment export industry in China.
Other pieces I just liked because they were colourful and looked nice - I wasn't too fussed about the meaning behind them.



This is a piece by Yinka Shonibare - 15 beautiful 19th-century children's dresses made of Dutch wax and fabric.


All in all, this was certainly a very eclectic mix of diverse artists and designers that provided an eye-opening view of the enormous role that clothes play in our society.


As an added bonus to the exhibit was a chance to sample some of London's more eclectic food from the pop-up restaurant from Sketch.  I've never been to Sketch so again, I was quite intrigued to see if it would be as special as many make out it to be.  Unfortunately, I was pretty disappointed.  The decor was utterly lovely and a very suited quirky addition to the gallery but the food was expensive and average.  My friend Jemma had a vegetarian salad that looked nice and came in a cute wooden bowl but it cost £8.50.  I had a bowl of pumpkin soup that was just pumpkin soup (in a paper cup no less) and it cost £6.50.  For that cost I would at least expect a little something in the soup; a swirl of yoghurt or a little truffle, but nothing - soup in a cup for £6.50.
There were some very pretty looking patisseries on display that may have changed my mind if my sweet tooth had been in action but alas, not this time. 



If you fancy going to the Fashion Identity exhibit its £7 and is on until January 30th. 
The Royal Academy has many exhibits throughout the year and they all aim to challenge, entertain and awaken us - some more than others but one thing is for sure, all of its spaces are a fantastic piece of London's art backdrop.

I'm very excited for next week where for week 3 I shall be going to gay bingo.  Fabulous!

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Err amazing, I am definitely going to head there for a browse. Great review Jo! x

Anonymous said...

nice one. Looking forward to next week!! Nico xx

Anonymous said...

Ps and of course I loved the Gaga dress :)

Post a Comment